On the education front WESSA presents a programme entitled Rhino Ambassadors. Individuals are elected within communities to support environmental education.
Their objectives are:
- Capacity building for Rhino Ambassadors within identified areas of hot spots for poaching;
- Improved public and private sector capabilities who value their environment and are able to address local biodiversity management;
- Gather information that could assist in reducing the incidence of poaching in those areas;
- To engage schools on issues of rhino poaching;
- Develop a set of educational tools to support conservation efforts within communities.
TSA Rhino Trust donated R 285,500.00 earlier this year to WESSA’s Rhino Ambassador Project which will be utilised during 2016.